Ceremonial-Grade Cacao is very different to highly processed and modified ‘chocolate’ that most of us know today, or even the cacao powder you can find in supermarkets and health food stores. Ceremonial-Grade Cacao refers to a high standard of cacao paste, grown sustainably and ethically in the Mesoamerican area, is native strain and is in its pure form, with the whole cacao bean used, no additives, preservatives and minimal processing. It is a natural and heart-opening plant medicine. It is also chocolatey goodness that is one of the most nutrient-rich plants on Earth, often referred to as ‘Food of the Gods’. An absolute powerhouse of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and mood-boosting compounds:
- Abundant in antioxidants: one cup of cacao has up to 40X more antioxidants than a handful of blueberries!
- Trace amounts of vitamins: A, E, K1, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B9
- Essential minerals: zinc, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese and chromium, potassium, calcium, selenium
- Contains 3 bioactive and euphoric compounds: theobromine (lifts mood and energy), anandamide (the ‘bliss molecule’) and phenylethylamine (PEA; nature’s antidepressant)
Consuming Ceremonial-Grade Cacao is a beautiful experience, which can be done in ceremony. This involves creating sacred space with mindfulness and ritual, setting intentions, practicing gratitude, connecting to yourself (mind, body and spirit) using various tools such as breath, meditation, visualisation, movement, journaling, creativity, sharing (whatever you are guided to!), to open the space for consciousness and magic. Dan and I were opened up to this experience a year ago and have journeyed with cacao most days since. We enjoy our cacao alongside our spiritual practices each morning and have seen the impact this daily ritual has had on our health, day to day experiences, connection to ourselves, each other and our communities, and our alignment with our dreams, purpose and mission.
A suggested ceremonial dose of cacao is 42 grams, and this is recommended when you have at least 45 minutes to dedicate to your daily practices/ceremony. Being a plant medicine, it is important to be aware of the dosage and listen to your body and intuition, embody curiosity, experiment & see what works for your body. 15-25 grams is a moderate dose often suitable for pre-yoga or exercise, as a coffee replacement or before beginning a creative project. A light or evening dose is 10 grams.
Cacao has been said to support:
- Calming the nervous system, releasing emotions, gaining clarity and direction
- Anti-aging, skin health, reduced inflammation and digestion
- Cardiovascular health; improved blood pressure, blood circulation and cholesterol
- Brain health, enhanced focus and performance; 'flow state' and creativity
- Spiritual practices, intention setting, connection to self, others and the Earth (grounding)
- Energy and mood, feeling of presence, magnifying the frequency of love and gratitude
- Reducing coffee/high caffeine consumption (cacao contains a low amount of caffeine, approximately 1.9mg/g to support sustained energy, focus and presence without the side-effects coffee can bring; jitters, crash, anxiety and withdrawals)
- Reducing sugar/highly processed chocolate cravings - especially supportive during menstruation ladies!
Cacao can greatly support connection, presence and intimacy with others. Sitting down over a cup of Cacao with someone opens the space for heart connection, sharing, vulnerability and authenticity. This is our ‘WHY’. Ceremonial-Grade Cacao is a part of our daily ritual. Not only does it assist us to open up to a creative flow and enhance our meditation practices, but significantly in our relationship it has also become a bridge for connection, deeper intimacy and a portal for more vulnerable conversations. Sitting together with a Cacao in hand and letting the medicine work her way through the conversation has become the first thing we do each morning before turning any technology on. Our way to reset and be fully present with each other at the rebirth of every new day. A practice that allows us to share whatever is on our minds and in our hearts, without judgement, ego or needing to be right. A Mayan myth says that when the balance between humankind and nature is threatened, Cacao will come from the rainforest to open people’s hearts and restore the balance. This is why we love sacred Cacao so very much and wish to share it and it’s magic with others.
We stock Cacao Collective, a beautiful, Australian-owned brand who have consciously sourced Ceremonial-Grade Cacao from Peru. It is fair-trade with an ethical chain from farm to cup, gluten-free, GMO-free, vegan, ACO certified organic, heavy metal-free, has a one bag one meal giveback program (for every bag purchased, Cacao Collective purchase a meal for someone in need) and the packaging is fully recyclable through the REDcycle Program (the soft plastics collection bin you see at your local supermarket).
Click here! to purchase your Ceremonial-Grade Cacao today, and receive a FREE 33min guided Cacao Ceremony recording. Candice also has several short, free guided cacao meditations available here. There are also regular online community ceremonies, so keep an eye out for details on those!