Nourishing: 2 people
Time: 45 minutes
3 small potatoes, washed
2 small sweet potatoes, peeled
1/2 white onion
3 tbsp linseeds / flaxseeds or flaxseed meal / ground flaxseed
9 tbsp water
2 tsp vegetable stock
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 cup flour of preference (I use a buckwheat or gluten-free plain flour)
Salt and pepper
4 tbsp coconut oil
Sides / Garnishes: hummus, tomato paste, avocado, spinach, spring onions and parsley
- If using whole linseeds / flaxseeds, place 3 tbsp into a blender or bullet to ground.
- In a small bowl, place ground linseed / flaxseed and add 9 tbsp of water*, mix and set aside.
- Grate potatoes into a medium sized bowl and add sliced onion.
- Add vegetable stock, smoked paprika, flour, salt and pepper to the bowl and combine.
- Your linseed / flaxseed eggs should be ready now (approx. 10 minutes, may require mixing a few times). You'll know it is ready as it will come together and have an 'egg' like consistency. Add and mix through your potato mixture.
- Heat a large saucepan (I use 2 so I can cook them all at once) and add coconut oil.
- Divide potato mixture into 4 and using your hands mould into a ball. Add to pan and squish down with a spatula to approximately 1-2cm. They can be rough depending on your desired look. Cook on both sides for approximately 10 minutes each side, or until golden and crunchy like you prefer.
- Plate up: stack 2 rostis per plate/person and pop on all your sides and garnishes.
- Breathe, extend gratitude to these ingredients and to the Earth and set the intention to nourish your body with this meal. Enjoy!
* This is a linseed / flaxseed egg replacement. Uses a ratio of 1:3 of ground linseed / flaxseed and water for 1 egg. This recipe is based on 3 eggs.